The Mouse that started it all is turning 90, and though he may have some years on all of us, he’s not slowing down one little bit. D23 has just announced that an all new exhibit in New York will showcase Mickey, his art and the impact that he’s had on the world. On top of that, there will be tons of merchandise to celebrate the occasion, and if that wasn’t enough, a massive “Mouse Party” in Disney Parks that celebrates all that is Mickey beginning this November.
First up is the massive new exhibit in New York City, which will be 16,000 square feet and will showcase over 100 Mickey Mouse Shorts Films, be completely interactive and will see original art from contemporary artists including Kenny Scharf, Amanda Ross-Ho and Shinique Smith, with more artists to be announced in the coming weeks. The experience will captivate the senses to surprise and delight guests, evoking the inspiration, creativity, and true original spirit of Mickey Mouse.
“We hope guests will enjoy the exhibition’s larger-than-life multimedia art installations, photo-worthy experiences, and even a few surprises,” says Ken Potrock, president, Consumer Products Commercialization, Disney Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products. “We’ve partnered with the best muralists, sculptors, artists, and designers to create original works that convey Mickey’s optimism and imagination.”
“As Walt said, ‘I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing—that it was all started by a mouse,’” said Bob Chapek, chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products. “From The True Original Exhibitionto a yearlong celebration in our parks around the world, we are honoring the deep connection that families and fans have made with Mickey and Minnie Mouse for nearly a century.”
Those looking to check out the artwork early can be on the lookout for three different installations, each one showcasing a different piece of merchandise that has withstood the test of time, and has become a piece of American history in their own right. The Mickey Mouse plush, t-shirt and watch.
Here’s where you can see them and what you can expect in the pop-up installations.
- Kenny Scharf – Scharf rose to prominence in the early 1980s as a New York street artist and muralist. His interdisciplinary practice consisted of design, sculpture, installations, performance and video as well as painting. From now until September 1, Kenny’s installation will be on display at the Minnesota Street Project, located at 1275 Minnesota St in San Francisco. Inspired by one of Disney’s first licensed products, the Mickey Mouse watch, this Cosmic Cavern is an immersive, day-glo, fluorescent black light world. Kenny Scharf’s work is a surreal journey into his personal connection with the character and the timelessness of both Scharf and Mickey’s contributions to visual culture. Fans at home can experience a 360° tour of the installation at Disney.com/MickeyTrueOriginal.
- Amanda Ross-Ho – Ross-Ho is a Los Angeles-based artist who has exhibited widely, both nationally and internationally including solo exhibitions at Cherry and Martin and The Museum of Contemporary Art Los Angeles. She has presented large-scale commissioned public work at The Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago, City Hall Park New York City and the Parcours Sector of Art Basel Switzerland. She will create a large-than-life classic Mickey tee to be on display during Art Expo in Chicago in September.
- Shinique Smith – Known for her monumental sculptural works of bundled fabric and clothing, and her exuberant calligraphic collaged paintings, Smith has been featured in exhibitions and collections of prestigious venues such as Brooklyn Museum, Denver Art Museum, LACMA, MFA Boston, The Frist Center, Kemper Museum and The Whitney Museum among others. Shinique’s installation will honor the impact of the Mickey Mouse plush through decades and will be on display in Los Angeles in October.
Get ready to eat, wear, read, play, and more, all with the magic of Mickey! Show off your inner fashionista with new collections launching this week and beyond with fashion and footwear brands like Forever 21 and Vault by Vans. Enjoy candy as sweet as Mickey himself with special new delights from luxury candy company Sugarfina and Brooklyn-based ice cream company Ample Hills Creamery.
Other ways to show your Mickey mania include:
- Capsule collections available exclusively at Disney stores and shopDisney.com
- Commemorative titles from Disney Publishing Worldwide
- A line of adorable plush and toys by Just Play
- A new Mickey Mouse Brickheadz figure from LEGO®
- An all new home video collection-Celebrating Mickey, featuring 13 classic short films on Digital and Blu-ray on 10/23
And of course, it wouldn’t be a celebration without Celebrating Mickey Mouse in the Disney Parks around the world. The celebration will happen at each Disney park and will include different celebrations, activities and of course merchandise. Here’s the run down:
Walt Disney World Resort
- Celebrate Mickey’s birthday from November 16-18 with special merchandise and food & beverage items
- Celebrate at Magic Kingdom Park during the Move It! Shake It! Dance & Play It! Street Party
- Sing “Happy Birthday” along with the Dapper Dans on Main Street, U.S.A.
- Join in a special birthday dance party at Rockettower Plaza Stage in Tomorrowland.
- Get ready to party in 2019 when Walt Disney World will continue celebrating when World’s Biggest Mouse Party comes to the resort
- Join in the celebration cavalcade for Mickey Mouse on November 18, featuring some of his special friends and the Disneyland Band, starting at it’s a small world and pausing for a special moment at Sleeping Beauty Castle before continuing down Main Street, U.S.A., to Town Square
- Get ready to party when the World’s Biggest Mouse Party begins at Disneyland Resort in 2019
Disney Cruise Line
- Celebrate at the World’s Biggest Mouse Party, which takes to the seas in 2019
Shanghai Disney Resort
- Kick off World’s Biggest Mouse Party with a brand-new Mickey-themed float at the opening ceremony of the Shanghai Tourism Festival on September 15 to commemorate the Shanghai launch of World’s Biggest Mouse Party
- See a giant birthday card next to the “Storytellers” statue, featuring birthday wishes from Mickey’s pals
- Enjoy themed food and merchandise offerings from November 16-18, as well as the opportunity to sing “Happy Birthday” to Mickey just before the nighttime spectacular show each evening, all culminating with a special nighttime birthday spectacular at Enchanted Storybook Castle on November 18
Hong Kong Disneyland
- Join the World’s Biggest Mouse Party on Mickey’s birthday, November 18, with commemorative park tickets, special food & beverage and merchandise, a hotel room overlay, and “We Love Mickey” projection show through the end of the year
- Enjoy special birthday stickers, available only on November 18
Tokyo Disney Resort
- Join the celebration this fall with special decorations and merchandise.
- Celebrate the World’s Biggest Mouse Party this fall and into winter with new holiday season entertainment and special surprises
How will you celebrate Mickey Mouse?
Stay tuned for more from Disney, and be sure to get social with us on Facebook and follow along with us on Twitter @BehindThrills for the latest updates!
For our latest theme park videos please be sure to subscribe to us on YouTube!