SeaWorld and Busch Gardens parks around the nation are gearing up to finally open their new-for-2022 rides, and roller coaster fans are thrilled! Each ride will break a local, national, or global record – among the rides opening later this year are the steepest hybrid coaster in the world, the fastest multi-launch coaster in the world, the talest Screamin’ Swing in the world, and the first six-across dive coaster in North America.
We’ve curated the opening timelines for each thrill ride at every SeaWorld or Busch Gardens park. Passholders are able to enjoy exclusive ride time before the attractions’ official opening.
Ice Breaker, SeaWorld Orlando
Get ready for uncharted chills on the all-new Ice Breaker coaster! Named after the icy Arctic summits, Ice Breaker will feature four airtime filled launches, both backwards and forwards, culminating in a reverse launch into the steepest beyond vertical drop in Florida – a 93 feet tall spike with 100-degree angle. The thrills continue as riders fly over a near vertical tophat maneuver into a series of exciting twists, turns, and airtime hills. The brand-new coaster will be located across from Wild Arctic.
- Official Opening Date: February 18
- Platinum Passholder Exclusive Ride Time: January 30 – February 15
- Gold Passholder Exclusive Ride Time: February 1 – February 15
- Silver Passholder Exclusive Ride Time: February 7 – February 15
- Bronze Passholder and Fun Card Holder Exclusive Ride Time: February 14 – February 15
Iron Gwazi, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
Being North America’s tallest hybrid coaster, this ride takes thrills to new heights, plunging riders from a 206-foot-tall peak down a 91-degree drop and reaching top speeds of 76 miles per hour. Iron Gwazi is Busch Gardens’ tenth coaster and an exhilarating addition to the park’s collection of thrill rides. Riders will experience a dozen airtime moments, including three inversions, while racing along more than 4,000 feet of steel track. With a 48” height requirement, this invigorating attraction is a ride the whole family can conquer together.
“The incredible anticipation for Iron Gwazi is shared by both our guests and Ambassadors, and we are beyond excited to open this amazing coaster,” said Neal Thurman, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay Park President. “Iron Gwazi diversifies our thrill ride portfolio and is an impressive addition to the Tampa skyline. Combining classic elements of a wooden coaster with a smooth, steel track will provide thrill seekers with an unforgettable experience.”
Manufactured by Rocky Mountain Construction, the newest addition at Busch Gardens is a wood and steel hybrid coaster design, combining the innovation of a steel coaster and the nostalgia of a wooden coaster. While elements of Gwazi, the classic wooden coaster, are integrated into the new ride, all-new thrill components and a reimagined track layout take Iron Gwazi to another level.
- Official Opening Date: March 11
- Platinum Passholder Exclusive Ride Time: Februray 13 – 14, 18-21, 24-28, March 3-7, and March 10
- Gold Passholder Exclusive Ride Time: February 18-21, 24-28, March 3-7, and March 10
- Silver Passholder Exclusive Ride Time: February 24-28, March 3-7, and March 10
- Fun Card Holder Exclusive Ride Time: March 7 and March 10
Emperor, SeaWorld San Diego
Emperor is the newest addition to the park’s thrill rides and will be the tallest, fastest, and longest dive coaster in California, as well as the only floorless dive coaster in the state. Named after the Emperor penguin, the world’s largest penguin, the all-new Emperor coaster will mimic this species’ amazing underwater diving ability. Climbing to 153 feet with feet dangling in the air, riders will be suspended on a 45-degree angle at the crown of the ride before plunging down a 143-foot facedown vertical drop, accelerating to more than 60 miles per hour. Riders will also experience inversions, barrel roll, Immelmann loop, hammerhead turn and flat spin as they race along the nearly 2,500 feet of track. Each of the floorless ride cars will hold 18 riders in three, six-person rows. This is the first seating configuration of its kind in North America.
- Official Opening Date: March 12
- Platinum Passholder Exclusive Ride Time: March 2 – March 11
- Gold Passholder Exclusive Ride Time: March 4 – March 11
- Silver Passholder Exclusive Ride Time: March 7 – March 11
- Bronze and SoCal Passholder Exclusive Ride Time: March 10 – March 11
Pantheon, Busch Gardens Williamsburg
The record-breaking Pantheon roller coaster harnesses the speed and strength of five of the greatest Roman gods – with a top speed of 73 mph, and featuring a 95°, 180 foot tall drop, 4 launches, 15 air-time moments and 2 inversions.
- Official Opening Date: March 25
- Platinum Passholder Exclusive Ride Time: March 4
- Passholder Exclusive Ride Time: March 5, 6, 11, 12 & 13
Tidal Surge, SeaWorld San Antonio
Tidal Surge is a breathtaking new attraction set to open in SeaWorld San Antonio. It will feature two pendulum-like arms, seating a total of 40 riders, that will soar progressively higher and higher with each swing. Starting slowly and progressively flying faster and higher, the ride will reach a staggering height of 135 feet at its peak.
- Ride opening info coming soon!
How to Purchase an Annual Pass
If you want to get an early taste of the thrills, you can purchase an annual pass at the parks’ websites listed below. Purchasing an annual pass not only gets you a year of fun, but you also get some really unique benefits and rewards!